Sunday, August 21, 2011

What are some fitness workouts to do at home?

I am looking for some fitness workouts to do at home that dont require any equipment. I already do push ups, sit ups, elbow dips, crunches and a few others. Are there any other exercises i can do similar to those?|||Hmm, the ideal thing to do, providing you want to stay indoors, would be to get a pullup bar. I can't see how you'd get a balanced training program without including any pull exercise.



I suggest getting a pullup bar, and starting some form of strength training routine. You don't need weights for the upper body to get a strength workout, but for the lower body, once you master pistol squats for high reps (10-15) you're really going to want to add some resistance. For the upper body, I recommend starting with two different isometric exercises; one pull and one push. The pull exercise could be front lever progression, or back lever progression. For pushing, I'd only recommend planche progression. Perform sets of the neccessary progressions (Link at the end from where I follow my advice from ;)) for a total of 60 seconds, so if you can hold a tuck planche for 5 seconds, do 20 x 3 seconds.



I'd obviously recommend pistol squats, (Squats on one leg) since you don't want to lift heavy weight around. Build up to a good umber of them (I personally built up to 5 sets of 10 before moving on). However, once you can easily do those numbers, it's more endurance work and won't get you results as good, although it's definately not a bad thing to do. I'd suggest finding something to lift whilst doing them after that point :)



I'd also recommend including two "dynamic" exercises. For a beginner, pullups and proper dips are a good start. Once you master them, you can begin decreasing the leverage, without adding weight of course. You could progress from dips to one arm pushups, handstand pushups, or dare I say one arm handstand pushups if you train for long enough. For pullups, you could do uneven pullups (Assisting arm grabs a towel wrapped around the bar as low as possible), and once you get good at them at with your arm really low down, you could work one arm negatives, and eventually one arm pullups.



For optimum results, you want to be working on strength. Strength has a high translation over to endurance, so you won't lose any of the numbers you've built up with those easier exercises. Isometircs are straightforward; 60 seconds total hold per exercise for two exercises. For pistols and dynamic upper body stuff, you want to be working on 3-5 sets of 3-5 repetitions, apart from that I'd recommend building up to the aforementioned numbers for pistols first.



Crunches and sit-ups are quite useless exercises when it comes to working out. There's nothing more I really need to say. Pushups and elbow dips are a good start if you find them hard, but I'm sure you find them quite easy by now, so I'd definately give the exercises I suggested a go, to see if you like them :)



Finally, i'd like to say that I don't want to force you to do anything you don't want to do, I'm merely giving some advice I've learnt that works best for me, and a lot of other people I know. If you don't enjoy working out like that, then find something you do enjoy! Exercise isn't something you should slave away at, it should be a constant adventure :) Personally, I hate exercising indoors because I find it boring, so I do my strength workout outside. I also explore the woods around my school, mountain bike, and swim. Find something you like, and go for it!



Sorry for the length, but the question you asked deserved a thorough answer :) You're already trying to get fit, which is more than I can say for most people. Good luck with your training!|||TRY INSANITY... ITS A REALLY GOOD WORKOUT ITS ALOT OF CARDIO..... ITS A 2 MONTH PROGRAM AND SOME DIETS BUT I JUST DO THE WORKOUTS :) HOPE THAT HELPED ...

No comments:

Post a Comment