Friday, September 16, 2011

How can I maintain fitness through a stress fracture?

I just found out I have a stress fracture on both my shins. Its 2 weeks before my cross country season and I have 4 weeks rest. I am allowed to bike and swim though. Is there anything else I can do to keep my fitness up and help it heal quicklier? I really want to qualify to state.|||you could try running in shallow water (like 4 or 5 feet deep) my cross country team goes to an indoor pool sometimes when it rains and we do that. It is actually hard work. The water starts to flow around the pool in a weird way when the whole team is doing it and that makes for more resitance. You could also try using once of those stationary bikes that is designed to fit under your desk. You can also use those by putting you hands on the petals to exercise your arms. You could lift weights with your upper body.|||Biking and swimming should be easy for you if you are a cross country runner. So, instead of just doing real long distances of either, do intervals. Long, long intervals and hard. You want your heart rate to be very high during the interval.





A ten-percent increase in heart rate does not mean a ten-percent increase in calories burned or work expended. It's usually much more than ten-percent. The increase is exponential. So keeping your heart rate at 160 isn't nearly as difficult as forcing your heart to jump up to 180 and then relax for a little back at 140 before spiking up to 180. And the more it works your heart, the better you'll run.|||Just rest your shins and biking and swimming is the only thing i know of that will keep your fitness up and wont be too hard on your shins. Good luck!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment